Surprise, Arizona Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Surprise is just like other communities in Arizona’s southern valley. It is experiencing a boom of population growth that merits its name. The city is Arizona’s sixth fastest growing community, expanding even more rapidly than Phoenix.
As of 2000, Surprise was only home to just over 30,000 residents. Only ten years later, the growth had brought about 87,000 new people to the area, making the city’s 2010 population a healthy 117,517. With all of this population growth comes jumbled traffic, congested roads and impatient drivers. As more and more drivers are added to the community, traffic in Surprise will continue to be a daily adventure.
Although city planners and construction contract workers are doing all they can to scale community roads with the population curve, there are constantly detours and construction areas that drivers must deal with on their daily routes. Add to these problems of expansion the element of newly relocated drivers unfamiliar with the city’s roads, and safe road sharing in Surprise seems all but impossible. Many accidents of the area involve motorcycles, as well as drivers purporting to have not seen the motorcyclist before impact.
There were about 200,000 registered motorcycles in Arizona in 2015. This number increases each year, with more than 40,000 new registered bikes being added to the state’s ranks since 2010. Everyone on Surprise roads can expect to see more motorcycles each year.
Surprise and Maricopa County Motorcycle Accidents
There were about 2000 motorcycle crashes in Maricopa County and the city of Surprise in 2015. These accidents included 1,619 motorcyclist injuries and 86 deaths. These numbers are unfortunately similar to the statistics of any given year.
In 2016, some of Surprise’s motorcycle accidents included these, below:
- Due to major road construction in April 2016, a 48 year old motorcyclist had taken Greenway Road near Litchfield Road in Surprise, as recommended by the Department of Transportation as the safest route around the construction. When the motorcycle rider was stopped, an inattentive, unlicensed 16 year-old driver of an SUV hit him from behind. The rider was killed in the accident. In the first three days of that route being used for detouring of traffic around the construction, there were eight other accidents.
- In October 2016, a motorcyclist was slammed into from behind by a van that also impacted another minivan as part of the same accident. This collision occurred on Grand Avenue at Bell Road. The elderly van driver was driving recklessly when the accident occurred. The motorcyclist sustained life-threatening injuries when he was thrown from the bike upon impact.
While riding your motorcycle around Surprise, you need to remember that every ride could be your last. A motorcycle accident can happen anywhere, anytime, on any day of the year. If you are in a Surprise motorcycle accident and suffer injuries for which someone else was at fault, you need the help of an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer. This type of personal injury lawyer will help you recover the current and future losses of your crash.
Similar to needing an attorney to help you with your personal injury claim after a Surprise motorcycle crash, you may also need the help of medical treatment professionals for injuries you sustain. The community of Surprise boasts over 30 medical treatment facilities. Some of these treatment centers include:
- Valley Hospital
- Banner Del E Webb Medical Center
- Dignity Health AZ General Hospital
- Boswell Memorial Hospital
Most members of the community are not aware how much it costs each resident when drivers collide with motorcycle riders. Maricopa County traffic accidents, including motorcycle wrecks in Surprise, affect the economy immensely. In 2015, the total economic cost to Maricopa County taxpayers for traffic accident-related injuries was $1,067,621,046. Fatalities cost $630,776,160 and property damage added $679,515,330. The total cost to residents for 2015 was $2,377,912,536. State taxes and funds appropriated by the government are how these amounts are covered.
Arizona Motorcycle Accident Statistics
An annual report compiled by the Arizona Department of Transportation, the Arizona Crash Facts Summary summarizes all of the most pertinent data of traffic accidents occurring in Arizona during a particular year. In the 2015 Arizona Crash Facts Summary, data included:
- 2911 motorcycle crashes
- 1827 multi-vehicle collisions
- 1,084 were wrecks of a motorcycle only
- 132 wrecks caused fatalities
- 2329 were injury accidents
- 2497 people were injured
- 134 people were killed
- 2704 collisions occurred in urban environments like Surprise
- 737 accidents were in rural areas
- 167 accidents involved motorcyclist DUI
- 150 accidents involved alcohol DUI of a motorcyclist
- 16 accidents involved a motorcyclist’s drug DUI
- 1 accident involved a medicated motorcyclist
- 1395 motorcycle wrecks were the fault of another driver
- In every 1000 Arizona registered bikes, 6.71 riders will be killed in a motorcycle wreck
Helmets Are Lifesaving in Surprise Motorcycle Accidents
In Arizona, riders can decide for themselves whether they will wear a safety helmet for possibly lifesaving protecting in an accident. That is, riders aged 18 and over have this freedom of choice in Surprise and other communities. Riders under age 18 must wear a helmet every time they ride. These age rules also apply to passengers on the back of the bike or in a sidecar. But wearing a helmet, while a personal choice for adults, can mean the difference between life, debilitating injury and death.
Below are some statistics from 2015 that show why Arizona riders should consider wearing a helmet for their own safety:
- 492 riders walked away from their Arizona motorcycle crashes without injury. Only 85 of these rode without protection of a helmet.
- 584 riders suffered serious and debilitating injuries. 300 rode without a helmet.
- 130 riders were killed. 76 were not wearing helmets.
Details of Surprise Motorcycle Accident
Motorcycle accidents are not solely caused by passenger vehicles. A motorcyclist can cause his or her own accident, just as commercial vehicles, another motorcyclist, bicyclists, and even pedestrians can cause a motorcycle to crash.
After a motorcycle accident occurs, investigators work to determine fault. If someone else is proven to have caused your accident in Surprise, that party may have to compensate you for your injury, property damage, lost income, pain and suffering, and other damages. If you have been in a Surprise motorcycle accident and have been injured, you need the help of a personal injury lawyer who specializes in motorcycle accidents. This lawyer will work to ensure best results for your compensatory settlement or judgment.
By taking a look at trends in past motorcycle wreck data, you can gain some insight about causes of these accidents. You can also learn how to protect yourself and try to keep such an accident from happening to you. Below is some of the data of the 2,988 motorcycle accidents occuring in Arizona during 2015:
- Motorcyclists were not at fault in 1395 accidents
- Speeding was the cause of 846 accidents
- 61 were due to the rider’s failure to yield
- 99 accidents were the fault of riders following other vehicles too closely
- 11 motorcycle riders neglected to stop at a stop sign
- 51 riders ignored a traffic signal
- 28 riders made improper turns
- 25 motorcyclists drove against traffic in an opposing lane
- 7 accidents were blamed on faulty parts or equipment
- 8 riders did not use required equipment
- 8 riders ignored a no passing zone and passed traffic
- 42 riders made unsafe lane changes
- 63 riders veered into an opposing lane of traffic
- 22 motorcycle riders unsafely passed other vehicles
- 16 motorcyclists engaged in distracted driving
As a motorcyclist, you are naturally vulnerable in many ways. You are vulnerable to every solid surface around you, including the road, vehicles, stationary object, others sharing the road with you and even natural elements like weather and insects. You are also vulnerable in your own behaviors and those of others. Behaviors can lead you to wreck your motorcycle, or someone to impact you. As you ride around Surprise, Maricopa County and the rest of Arizona, you need to be cautious, alert and ready to defensively avoid an accident before one occurs. You should always follow the speed limit, as speed makes motorcyclists more vulnerable than just about any other factor.
Of the 137 fatal motorcycle accidents occurring in Surprise and the rest of Arizona in 2015:
- 104 deaths were the motorcyclist’s fault
- 33 were another driver’s fault
- Speeding was the cause of 44
A motorcycle can be hit from various angles by another vehicle. Knowing these means you can be more observant in the right areas, while you ride. Accidents occurring from particular angles in Arizona during 2015 include:
- 446 collisions involved a vehicle turning left in front of or into a motorcycle with 26 fatally injured victims
- 622 accidents and 18 fatalities were due to rear-end collisions
- 295 accidents were at a diagonal angle with 19 of these being fatal
- 267 were sideswipe collisions with six fatalities
After Your Surprise Motorcycle Accident
Like most riders and passengers, you will suffer pretty heavy stress after your Surprise motorcycle accident. First aid for yourself and anyone involved who is injured should always be top priority at the scene. But when everyone is safe, there are things you can do to help your motorcycle accident claim while awaiting police and EMT arrival.
You should do these things, even if you are not sure that you will file a claim. Alternatively, you may have someone you trust do these things for you:
- Note the accident’s date and time
- Note weather conditions at the time of the accident
- Take photos of the damaged vehicles and accident scene
- Obtain contact information of witnesses and note their observations
- Maintain insurance declarations
- Write your thoughts about how the accident occurred
- Keep all of your accident records in one place, including the police report
- Talk with a motorcycle accident attorney BEFORE signing anything or allowing the insurance company to record you
- Call a Surprise motorcycle accident attorney now at 602.254.2701
- Speak to Cantor Injury Lawyers injury lawyers BEFORE dealing with any insurance companies
Having a Surprise Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Is the Right Choice
When you have a Surprise motorcycle accident lawyer, you are automatically provided with a higher chance of gaining the compensation you deserve for your accident damages. As part of a motorcycle accident claim, you may be able to recover some or all of these damages, below. To do so, you will need an experienced motorcycle accident attorney in Surprise, such as the lawyers of Cantor Injury Lawyers.
- Medical expenses
- Prescription and over-the-counter medication costs
- Imaging study costs, such as for MRIs, CT scans and X-rays
- Hospital bills
- Rehab costs
- Lost income or wages
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Property damage, motorcycle replacement or repair
- Auto rental
- Towing charges
- Other damages
After your Surprise motorcycle accident or a crash elsewhere in Arizona, you need an experienced motorcycle accident attorney. Call the Surprise motorcycle accident lawyers of Cantor Injury Lawyers at 602.254.2701 for a free, no-obligation consultation today.