Goodyear, Arizona Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Goodyear is a motorcycle rider’s haven, offering plenty of sunny weather, miles of open desert road and year-round opportunities to ride and socialize with other bikers. With about 80,000 residents, Goodyear is close to Phoenix and all of its suburbs. Riders of the community can commute on their bikes to school and work anywhere in the valley, saving money and gas in the process.
Social events for riders around the Phoenix and Maricopa County areas are endless. There are plenty of nonprofit fundraising rides, sponsored events and club gatherings designed specifically for motorcycle riders. Arizona Bike Week is very convenient, providing a venue for riders to get together with motorcyclists from around the United States.
Goodyear grew very slowly from 1930 to 1990. Its population during this period only ranged from 1300 residents to about 6300. But after the 90s, Goodyear boomed. The town swelled to more than 79,000 residents by 2015. With such fast expansion in just 25 years, traffic has also expanded and requires city planners and construction crews to constantly fight the problems of a growing population.
Arizona residents had about 200,000 registered motorcycles in 2015. Goodyear is home to many of these. With the city’s continuing growth, the number of motorcycles owned by residents will also continue to increase.
Safety for Riding Your Motorcycle around Goodyear
When riding your motorcycle around Goodyear, you need to remain as safe as possible. After all, no one predicts their own demise in a motorcycle accident. Each time a rider gets on his or her bike for even just a short ride, they expect to return home. But most fatal motorcycle accidents occur close to the biker’s own residence, with the wreck happening when the rider was just out for a routine trip. These routine trips are also when many riders decide they do not need to wear a helmet.
When riding your bike around Goodyear, you must ensure you are always cautious, aware and driving defensively. Always look out for what other drivers are doing and whether they see you. You should wear bright and protective clothing with a Department of Transportation approved safety helmet. That is, if you make the personal choice to protect yourself by wearing a helmet.
Maricopa County and Goodyear Motorcycle Crashes
Around Maricopa County where Goodyear is located, there were just under 2000 bike wrecks in 2015. These accidents caused 1619 riders to suffer injuries and 86 to die. But these statistics are not unusual. 2016 injury and death counts from motorcycle accidents will not be much different.
There is not a single day of the week, time of day or month of the year during which motorcyclists are safe from accidents. Anytime you ride around Maricopa County or even just Goodyear, you could be in a crash. That is, if you have not already realized the truth of this by being in a wreck.
When you are injured in a Maricopa County or Goodyear motorcycle accident, you need the help of an Arizona personal injury lawyer who specializes in motorcycle accident claims. This type of lawyer will help you recover the damages of your accident.
Just as you may need to hire a motorcycle accident lawyer, you may also find yourself needing treatment for injuries sustained in your accident. For these types of injuries and other trauma, there are multiple medical treatment centers around Goodyear. Some of the medical centers where motorcycle accident victims are taken or go on their own for treatment include:
- Arizona General Hospital
- Abrazo Healthcare
- West Valley Hospital
- Western Regional Medical Center
When traffic accidents occur in Goodyear, Maricopa County or anywhere in Arizona, taxpayers suffer an immense economic impact. Most people do not realize the magnitude of this impact.
In 2015, taxpayers and government funding programs in just Maricopa County alone were hit with over $ 1,067,621,046 in traffic accident injury costs. That year’s fatalities in traffic crashes cost the county residents and programs $630,776,160 and property damage added $679,515,330 for a total of $2,377,912,536 in losses.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics of Arizona
Each year, the Arizona Department of Transportation produces the Arizona Crash Facts Summary, a report of the year’s most important traffic accident statistics. In the 2015 Arizona Crash Facts Summary, the year’s statistics of motorcycle accidents were reported as below:
- 2911 motorcycle accidents statewide
- 1827 multi-vehicle accidents
- 1,084 were wrecks of a motorcycle only
- 132 wrecks caused fatalities
- 2329 were injury accidents
- 2497 people were injured
- 134 people were killed
- 2704 collisions occurred in urban environments like Goodyear
- 737 accidents were in rural areas
- 150 accidents involved alcohol DUI of a motorcyclist
- 16 accidents involved a motorcyclist’s drug DUI
- 1 accident involved a medicated motorcyclist
- 1395 motorcyclists were without any fault in their accident
- 71 motorcyclists in every 1000 AZ registered bikes will be killed in a motorcycle wreck
Head Injuries and Even Fatality Can Be Prevented in Goodyear Motorcycle Accidents
Arizona law does not mandate universal helmet wear by motorcycle riders. It only requires riders aged under 18 and any passengers of that age bracket to wear safety helmets. If you are a legal adult in the state, whether you are the motorcycle operator or passenger, you do not have to wear a helmet. This provides freedom of choice in your riding.
Of course, wearing a helmet can save your life. There is little debate on that subject, even by riders who choose to go without. Helmets are proven to prevent head trauma, traumatic brain injuries and even death in some cases.
As examples of how helmet wear can prevent head injury and fatality, below are some 2015 Arizona statistics of helmet wear in motorcycle accidents:
- 492 riders survived Arizona motorcycle crashes injury-free. But of these, only 85 rode without protection of a helmet.
- 584 riders suffered serious and life-changing injuries. Of these, 300 rode without a helmet.
- 130 riders were killed, 76 of whom were not wearing helmets.
Other Details of Goodyear Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents are not exclusively caused by passenger or commercial vehicles like cars, trucks and SUVs. Anyone can cause a motorcycle accident. In fact, other motorcyclists, bicyclists and even pedestrians can cause one of these crashes.
If you are in an accident and someone else is proven to have been at fault for the crash, you can seek compensation for your injuries, lost income, property damage and other costs of the accident and its aftermath. When you have been in such an accident, you need the help of an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer, also known as a personal injury attorney. Having this type of specialized lawyer on your side can greatly improve your chances of recovering your damages, as well as damages you may not otherwise collect if you handle your insurance claim on your own.
By looking at past motorcycle crash data, you can hopefully be more aware of how to keep yourself safe on the roads in Goodyear and throughout Arizona. The following are details of the 2,988 motorcycle accidents that occurred in Arizona during 2015:
- Motorcyclists were not at fault in 1395 accidents
- Speeding was the cause of 846 accidents
- 61 were due to the rider’s failure to yield
- 99 accidents were the fault of riders following other vehicles too closely
- 11 motorcycle riders neglected to stop at a stop sign
- 51 riders ignored a traffic signal
- 28 riders made improper turns
- 25 motorcyclists drove against traffic in an opposing lane
- 7 accidents were blamed on faulty parts or equipment
- 8 riders did not use required equipment
- 8 riders ignored a no passing zone and passed traffic
- 42 riders made unsafe lane changes
- 63 riders veered into an opposing lane of traffic
- 22 motorcycle riders unsafely passed other vehicles
- 16 motorcyclists engaged in distracted driving
You can suffer an accident at any time, due to the above reasons or other causes. Speeding is obviously a big factor in these wrecks, something you should avoid doing to keep yourself and others safe.
There were 137 fatal motorcycle wrecks in the state of Arizona in 2015. In these accidents, 104 fatalities were at the fault of the biker. Other drivers were to blame for 33 deadly accidents. Of the fatal crashes, 44 were caused by speeding.
In 2015, most of Arizona’s motorcycle crashes were from one of these angles:
- A vehicle turning left into or in front of a motorcycle: 446 collisions with 26 fatally injured victims
- Rear-end collisions: 622 accidents and 18 deaths
- Diagonal angle into the motorcycle: 295 accidents with 19 fatalities
- Sideswipes: 267 with six fatalities
What to Do If a Goodyear Motorcycle Accident Happens to You
Being in a motorcycle accident is extremely stressful, particularly when you or someone else suffers physical injuries. When a biking accident occurs, the first priority at the scene should be to administer first aid to anyone who needs it, until EMTs arrive.
If you are uninjured or can move about freely and others are not needing your attention, there are some things you can do to ensure you have a well-supported accident and personal injury claim. You should try to do these things, even if you do not intend to file a claim. You do not know what the next few days will bring, as far as injury, other trauma and damages. You, or someone you trust, should do the following:
- Note the accident’s date and time
- Note weather conditions at the time of the accident
- Take photos of the damaged vehicles and accident scene
- Obtain contact information of witnesses and note their observations
- Maintain insurance declarations
- Write your thoughts about how the accident occurred
- Keep all of your accident records in one place, including the police report
- Talk with a motorcycle accident attorney BEFORE signing anything or allowing the insurance company to record you
- Call a Goodyear motorcycle accident attorney now at 602.254.2701
- Speak to Cantor Crane injury lawyers BEFORE dealing with any insurance companies
A Goodyear Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Will Help You
Having a personal injury and motorcycle accident lawyer immediately strengthens your Goodyear motorcycle accident claim. This is because insurance adjusters know that with a lawyer, you cannot be taken advantage of through a low settlement offer. The lawyer will also handle the entire claim process for you, communicating with the insurance adjusters and other parties to keep your case safe from anything you may accidentally say that could harm your resulting compensation.
Your motorcycle accident lawyer will also negotiate the right settlement for you, ensuring all of your current and future accident damages are covered through the claim. If it is not possible to gain a settlement through these negotiations, your Goodyear lawyer will take the case to court and ensure you receive the best possible judgment.
Below are some types of damages that may be recoverable through a personal injury and motorcycle accident claim:
- Medical expenses
- Prescription and over-the-counter medication costs
- Imaging study costs, such as for MRIs, CT scans and X-rays
- Hospital bills
- Rehab costs
- Lost income or wages
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Property damage, motorcycle replacement or repair
- Auto rental
- Towing charges
- Other damages
After your Goodyear motorcycle accident or a crash in other parts of Arizona, you need an experienced Goodyear motorcycle accident attorney. Call the motorcycle accident lawyers of Cantor Crane at 602.254.2701 for a free, no-obligation consultation today.